Saturday, December 6, 2014

At My Age, Everything Is A Long Story

So, here we go. I'm moving into the twenty first century now. Oh well, in for a dime, in for a dollar I suppose.

I have been told many times to begin a blog of my own, but perhaps it is my Ozark upbringing which causes me to immediately rebel against most any suggestion. At heart, perhaps I'm just a stubborn old hillbilly.

But having put my toe in the water at last, I will jump right into what will either be a delightful spring fed pool, or some unspeakable hell hole. This is to be determined.

Though new to this build a blog stuff, I do think I was able to post a link to my music on soundcloud. So if there is a desire to make your eardrums bleed, you can give a listen. This music was all recorded prior to 1982, and is as old as 1975. It is pretty weird to be old enough to have my own forty year old time capsule.

I have spent decades in the newspaper publishing business, and prior to that I was a professional musician. In 2002 I had an unfortunate outcome to an elective surgical procedure on my ankle, which became infected and caused my physical disability. So having plenty of time on my hands, I spent five years as a Huffington Post Blogger, and have spent the last few years booking authors and guests on several radio shows. Among them, Dark Matter with Art Bell, Coast to Coast AM with George Noory and John B Wells, The Unexplained with Howard Hughes, and several others.

I suppose you may have gleaned that I like esoteric subjects. Perhaps it all goes back to my hippie days. I will leave that for the reader to surmise, as this blog will largely be my recollections of a very exciting life spent trying to figure out what I was doing. At age 61, I am still trying to decide what I want to be when I grow up.

However, here I can make some stupid generalities having lived this long. First and foremost, I realize that the more I learn, the more ignorant I become. Every answer leads to many more questions. And about every ten years, we learn that our previously held facts, are now false. I really have no idea how many glasses of water I am supposed to drink in a day, so I just wing it.

When one reaches sixty, everything is a long story. I can't seem to answer even the simplest question if I truly want to frame it within it's proper context. So unless you have some time on your hands, don't ask me any questions.

Things I love, Of course my family. My wife Kim of thirty three years, and our son Tom of 29. These two are my crowning achievement, and my reason for remaining interested in most things. Sometimes while Tom was growing up, I often worried he would feel ostracized by his peers, as he still had both of his original parents.

I love golf. I realize it is strange for an old hippie to like the "gentleman's game", but my father was a dentist, which means I grew up with a golf club in hand. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to play for a dozen years now, due to my disability. But the game still gets played inside my head most every night, as I am drifting off to sleep. If there is a Heaven, I am anticipating many wonderful rounds of golf there.

But my lifelong love has been music. I purchased "You Ain't Nothin But A Hound Dog" by Elvis at age three. (I was three, not Elvis.) And from that day forward, I felt the pull of the stage. I began studying piano at age four, playing for money at age twelve, and having a very interesting childhood due to that compulsion to play. Music has shown me all strata of society, all types of geography, and a far different reality than shared by most. I was usually the youngest in the crowd, and for some reason it remains so today.

I suppose one could say I was ahead of my time, or conversely that I grew old before my time. But I do think I'd have fared better if I'd been born just a few years earlier, say in 1947, the year of Roswell. As it was, I did experience the most turbulent years of the late sixties, and was of an age and had the right friends, to enable me to see it from a contemporaneous point of view. And like so many others, those years from 67 to 75 remain a golden age for me.

Well, stay tuned here if you wish, as I will role out the experiences of this strange and wondrous trip of mine. It doesn't matter, as I am selling nothing, nor do I have any particular message to impart. I am going to do this anyway. So for something entirely free of charge, and those things are rare, hang around from time to time, and leave a comment if you'd like. I have always made it my policy to try to answer all comments, which was quite a chore at Huffington Post. But if you take the time to write, you deserve an answer. The old golden rule always comes into play, eh? later, rw

No comments:

Post a Comment